Internal shingles is brought about by the varicella-zoster virus which is the same virus that is responsible for chickenpox. The virus remains in dormant state in the body especially in the nerve tissues close to the brain and spinal cord after suffering from chicken pox. After several years, the virus reactivates as shingles and cause severe internal symptoms if not properly treated.
Symptoms of internal shingles
- Flu-like symptoms that includes fever and chills that last for 3-4 days.
- Shooting and severe pain, itching, burning sensations and discomfort in the affected area.
- Blistering rashes develops on the area of the affected nerve and spreads throughout the area. The areas that are usually affected include the face, skin and the trunk. During this time the affected person has nerve pain.
- Headaches and fatigue
- Blistering rashes becomes dry scabs and disappears within 3-4 weeks.
- When the condition affects the nerves of the eyes, there is temporary blindness, swollen eyes, changes in vision and blistering rashes that develops on the end area of the nose.
- Severe pain in the ear and loss of hearing
- Take the prescribed antiviral medication.
- Apply an over-the-counter anti-itch medication to lessen the itchiness and other symptoms. Use calamine lotion on the affected area.
- Take the prescribed over-the-counter pain medication such as aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen to lessen the pain.
- Avoid covering the blisters or rashes even if they develop scabs. If the pain causes interruption in sleeping, wrap the rash using a sports bandage. Avoid wrapping them too tight to prevent any disruption in the blood circulation.
- Apply an ice pack on the affected area for at least 10 minutes. Another alternative is applying a moist compress on the area using aluminum acetate. It relieves the itchiness and inflammation on the skin.
- Take a cool bath to relieve the pain and discomfort due to shingles. Make sure it is not too cold to prevent further damage. After a cool bath, dry the body completely using a warm towel. Wash the towel using the hottest setting in the washing machine to prevent the spread of the infection.